Now that you’ve selected your new flooring, we will schedule a professional installation. To make this installation as smooth as possible, we have prepared a pre-installation checklist. Here you’ll find general guidelines that should be followed prior to the installation of your new flooring.
- Make arrangements prior to the arrival of the installation crew for removal of old flooring.
- We recommend that all painting is complete before your new flooring arrives.
- Rooms and closets that will be resurfaced must be emptied prior to the arrival of the installation crew.
- Remove and box any valuable items near the area of installation.
- Baseboards and moldings, in most installations, can be left in place, but we cannot be responsible for any damage that may occur.
- Remove all hanging objects in the area of installation.
- Disconnect and move electronics, appliances or computers.
- We will need access to a location to store and cut flooring materials.
- We will need access to electrical power in the installation area.
- If you have a preference for the direction of the pattern or layout of your flooring, you will need to discuss it with our Experts at the time of the purchase. Many of the styles require additional material to achieve the closest match possible.
- If your installation requires sanding, it is a good idea to cover all cupboards and furniture in the area.
- Thoroughly inspect the flooring once the installation has been completed and bring any concerns to their attention immediately.
- Hinged doors may require trimming for proper clearance once your new flooring is installed.
- Your installation may require touch-up to walls, moldings and baseboards.
- Every installation has material waste. These leftover pieces are most common in irregular shaped rooms or when stairs and halls are recovered.
- The installation crew will remove all waste pertaining to the installation of your new flooring. It is the customer’s responsibility to clean the flooring after installation.
- Allow proper ventilation for 72 hours after your flooring installation by utilizing fans.
- While your new carpet is of the highest quality, it is still subject to everyday wear. Here are tried and tested ways of correcting common carpet conditions.
Sprouting – If loose ends or “sprouts” extend above the rest of the pile, trim them off evenly with the pile surface. Never try to pull them out. After clipping, smooth the area with your fingers. Sharp edges on your vacuum cleaner, a child’s toy, high heels or animal claws can cause this condition.
Pile Crushing – All carpet fibers will crush under heavy, stationary loads. Crushing can be reduced by shifting furniture regularly. Crushed areas can usually be restored by covering the area with a damp, clean white cloth and then very carefully applying heat to the cloth with an electric iron on a low setting. Remove the cloth and restore the pile while it is still hot by brushing it lightly. Keep traffic off the carpet until it is dry.
Shading – After certain carpet styles have been subjected to traffic, you may notice areas that appear lighter or darker than other areas. Don’t be alarmed! Shading is the result of the change in direction of the pile due to pressure from the footsteps and vacuuming. Brushing the pile all in one direction may temporarily correct shading; however, shading is part of the carpet styling and should be expected to varying degrees. Do not mistake shading for color fading.
Pile Distortion/Roll Crush – When carpet is manufactured, inspected, handled and shipped, it is rolled and unrolled many times. A common problem called pile distortion or roll crush can occur when this happens. It can be corrected only after the carpet is installed. Follow these steps:
- Vacuum the carpet.
- Increase the relative humidity in the room to 50% or more.
- Allow several weeks in humid conditions and slightly longer in low humidity conditions for the pile to recover.
Whatever It Takes, We Strive for Excellence in Customer Service!
We take the guess work out of your flooring project and measure your room or rooms at no charge.
Abbey Carpet’s buying power of over 800 stores nationwide ensures the best pricing and service for quality products.
We have over 10,000 samples of carpet.
60 Day No Questions Asked Satisfaction Guarantee!
Lifetime Installation Guarantee!